Trinity has a deep and rich tradition of using music in worship. Our choir helps lead worshipers in singing wonderful anthems of praise. The music is enhanced by an outstanding pipe organ and a grand piano, each played by an accomplished musician. Our handbell choir also supplements the uplifting atmosphere on certain Sundays.
Thomas Drury currently serves as Director of Music and his wife, Andrea Drury, serves as Director of the Chancel Choir. Andrea is also the Director of the Evansville Philharmonic Chorus. She has been blessed with a beautiful soprano voice and often shares her talents with our congregation.
The first organ at Trinity was made by Pilcher of Chicago and was installed in 1867. The first organist on record at Trinity was Professor Mathias. An organ installed in 1910 was operated by a large hand pump in a small room just back of the organ until 1919 when electric power was substituted. In 1961 a Wicks Organ of 42 Ranks was installed, along with most of the present organ case. In 1992 renovations and additional ranks were installed by John Wolford and Michael Woods, assisted by John Medcraft, Mike Suter and Dorothy Wolford. Tonal finishing was done by William Bust, Ronald Yeater, Michael Woods and Mark X. Hatfield. The organ, now with 63 ranks, helps us continue our deep and rich music tradition.
For forty years, from 1970 to 2010, the music at Trinity was directed by the renowned Jerry Hoover. During that period Mr. Hoover directed nearly 1,500 voices. He promoted a choral tradition based on the Christiansen Choral Technique (developed in 1935 by F. Melius Christiansen at St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn.), which was emulated for its attention to intonation, blending of voices, diction and phrasing.
Hoover believed his life and career were guided by a greater hand than his own, and he was always quick to ensure music was performed for the glory of God. Our music tradition continues today in that same mold as a vehicle to honor and worship God.